SECTION 3: NAMES
Valid names - Reserved Names List
3.1 Valid Names
3.1.1 Pernese Names
- All male dragonrider names are elided, e.g. F'lar, F'nor, K'van etc
- Female riders' names may be shortened, but without apostrophe e.g. Jenette to Jen, but not J'ette (note: this is not required and up to your preference. Most Club members don't shorten their female personas' names on Impression)
- All dragon names end in "-th". You may not use any names ending in "-th" for people or pets. This ending is reserved for the dragons only
- No Terran names: you may not use common Terran names, although variations of these are acceptable
- No surnames: only Trader personas have a surname which is the name of the Trader Train of which they are a member. All other personas have one name only
3.1.2 Book/Movie Character Names
- You cannot use the name of a major character in any popular book, TV series, or movie
- No names from the Dragonriders of PernŽ books and short stories: you may not use any of the names that are found in Anne McCaffrey's books, nor can your persona be the relative of any of her characters. Names that are even close to the characters in the novel are not permitted either (e.g., Sorcha/Sorka). Exceptions: as new Pern books are released by Anne McCaffrey (and now her son Todd McCaffrey), pre-existing DragonRiders persona names may exactly or closely match one of the names from the new novel. These names will be allowed to remain in use and will be marked with "++" next to their Reserved Names listing and in the member logs. However, once the member drops the persona or leaves the Club for any reason, the name will then be protected as Anne McCaffrey's and no longer be available for use
3.1.3 Common Words
- Common words may be used for nicknames and pets, but may not be used for persona names
- Common words on the Reserved Names list that are names used by Anne McCaffrey may not be used. In the cases where the common name is part of double names - such as Red Hanrahan and Blackie Nilwan - the common word portion of the name may be used, i.e. Red and Blacky
- A member can request to reserve a common word which they are using as a name for a pet on the Reserved Names list
3.2 Reserved Names List
In addition to the rules above, new names cannot be similar or identical to names already reserved by other DragonRiders Club members. Please check the Reserved Names list for possible conflicts when you create a new name. This list is the primary means by which names on join forms and additional personas are reviewed.
3.2.1 Names Included in the Reserved Names List
The Reserved Names list includes:
- Names used by Anne McCaffrey (and Todd McCaffrey) in the Dragonriders of PernŽ novels and short stories
- Names used in UBI Soft's Dragon Riders: Chronicles of PernTM computer game
- Persona and dragon names of previous Weyrleaders at our Club Weyrs
- Approved PC, ONPC, NPC/free and MPC names: personas, dragons, dolphins, firelizards
Additional names that may be entered into the Reserved Names list upon member request include:
- Close relatives of PCs (NPC parents, siblings, spouses/weyrmates, children)
- Non-firelizard pet names (canines, felines, runnerbeasts, etc)
3.2.2 Regarding Name Conflicts
It is your responsibility to check any nicknames or NPC names you create against the Reserved Names list before using them in posts. If you fail to do so and there is a conflict with an existing name, you may be asked to reissue your post(s) with the conflicting name changed or removed.
If a member feels a new name is too close to a reserved one and brings this to the Council's attention, the Council will discuss and decide if the names are close enough to warrant a name change request. A statute of limitations will exist in that protests over names that appeared in posts more than a month ago will no longer be entertained by the Council.
Other than close relatives of your PCs, NPC names are generally not eligible to be entered into the Reserved Names list and thus do not have protection from coincidentally being used by other members. However, if a new member joins with a PC name that is close or identical to an NPC name previously used by another member, the NPC name will be allowed to stay in use. Neither member can force the other member to change their persona's name. There can be a discussion between the two members to facilitate a name change, but if either member decides they do not want to change the name, both will be allowed to use it.
Last updated on 27-Nov-11.
Dragonriders of Pern: A Fantasy-Fiction Writing Club - www.dragonridersclub.com
The Dragonriders of Pern® is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with permission. Use or reproduction without a license is strictly prohibited.