SECTION 4: RANK
Premium/Ranking Combinations - Craft Ranks - Premium Positions - Ranking Positions - Application Guidelines
- Green/Blue/Brown Weyrling
- Green/Blue/Brown Wingrider
- Retired Weyrlingmaster
- Wingsecond *
- Bronze Weyrling
- Bronze Wingrider
- Gold Weyrling, Goldrider
- Active Weyrlingmaster, Weyrlingmistress
- Retired craftmaster
- Stationmaster (Runner Station)
- Active Mastercraftsman/woman
- Worker (e.g. Lower Caverns, Fields)
- Minor Holder or Cotholder
- Steward or Headwoman in a Minor Hold
- Misc. Non-Craft Occupations (Guard, Stablehand, Hunter, Ferryman, etc.)
- unskilled/unranked persona (e.g. children)
- PC Spouse of a ranking Lady/Lord Holder of a Major Hold.
- Headman/woman (Major Hold, Crafthall or Weyr)
- Steward (Major Hold)
- Owner of Gold Firelizard
- Owner of Bronze Firelizard
- Owner of Watchwher
- Lord/Lady Holder of Major Hold
|* Note: Two Wingseonds per Wing, one of which shall remain unadoptable NPC/Free.
- Bronzeriders who are promoted to a ranking position shall no longer count as Premium Personas but as Ranking Personas. For example, a Wingleader bronzerider would count as a Ranking Persona, but not as a Premium Persona.
- However, it is possible for one persona to count as both a Premium and a Ranking Persona or as a double Premium Persona if that persona owns a bronze or gold firelizard or a watchwher. For example, a bronzerider with a gold firelizard would count as two premium positions, or as one ranking and one premium position if that bronzerider holds a ranking position
4.1 Craft Ranks
4.1.1 Age Requirements
- Apprentices must have at least 12 Turns
- Journeymen must have at least 17 Turns
- Masters must have at least 30 Turns and require Council approval
Members wishing to hold personas who do not meet these age requirements may petition the Council for permission.
4.1.2 Limits and Restrictions
- Personas may be skilled in up to two crafts, but one must be no higher than apprentice level
- Dragonriders may have up to Journeyman level in a craft (attained before Impression), but cannot be Masters
- A Lord/Lady Holder may have up to Journeyman level in a craft, but cannot be a Master
4.2 Premium Positions
- Members may hold up to five (5) premium positions, but no more than four (4) may be in the same location
- A maximum of one (1) premium persona per member can be an ONPC with Council approval, under the conditions that:
- The position has been applied for as a PC persona and
- The minimum posting requirements for ONPCs (12 or 20 posts, see the ONPC Creation Rules) have been met for that persona
4.3 Ranking Positions
- Members may hold up to five (5) high ranking personas, but no more than three (3) may be in the same location (Weyr/Hall/Hold) with no more than one (1) per Wing
- Members may not have more than one (1) gold dragon (adult or weyrling) in the Club
- Members may not have the Weyrwoman and Weyrleader position at the same Weyr (however, it is permissible for the writer of either Weyrwoman or Weyrleader to hold an additional Ranking Position, e.g. Wingleader, at the same Weyr)
- Ranking personas need to remain PC personas and cannot be changed to ONPCs. Exceptions to this rule will be very rare and require Council approval
- The spouse and children of a PC Ruling Lord/Lady Holder, only if written by the owner of the Ruling PC Lord/Lady Holder, may be written as NPC or ONPC. Standard rules apply to gaining ONPC status for these personas (i.e. 12 posts must be authored by the relative persona to be eligible for ONPC status), and expectations for coposting will be upheld. Any other additional position(s) for such spouse or children which may be of ranking or premium status (see above for a list of ranking or premium personas) will fall under standard rules for ranking and premium personas
4.3.1 Ranker Duties
Each ranking persona has certain responsibilities of duty. For example:
- Wingleaders, including Weyrwomen, are expected to create sweep/drill schedules for their wings
- Ranking personas may be asked to become mentors for their location
- The owner of a ranking persona must be available to anyone that wishes to refer to, mention, or co-post with that ranking PC. The option to not write with someone, of course, stands; however, as it is part of ranking PC's duty, the owner should have a plausible reason for turning someone down
- Because of their significance in their location, ranking personas will NOT be exempt from posting. All Club members, including Council members, Webbies, Listmum etc., are expected to post for their rankers
- Goldriders: Flight, clutch and hatching posts. Flights occur every 9 Pernese months on average. (For Weyrwoman, Weyrleader position is dependent on these Flights.) Clutches will alternate between PC and NPC. Should circumstances merit a deviation from this, the schedule is negotiable on a case by case basis.
- Weyrleaders: Extra time for co-posting. (Note: Weyrleaders are also Wingleaders and must be prepared for those extra duties as well.)
- Wingleaders: Extra time for creating sweep schedules.
- Weyrlingmasters: Mentoring abilities, extra time for co-posting.
- Mastercrafters: Extra time for coposting.
- Lord/Lady Holders: Mentoring abilities, extra time for co-posting.
4.4 Application Guidelines for Ranking/Premium Positions
Premium and Ranking Positions (as defined above) are granted by the Council according to the following guidelines:
- If a Ranking Position becomes newly available or the Council deems it necessary to create one, the Club must be notified of availability before filling the position.
- The Council will send calls for applications to the mailing list via Newsletter to fill open Ranking Positions once per term.
- If there are no suitable applications, the Council will decide if the position will remain with an NPC/Free persona or be removed. The Council reserves the right to simply delete the position if there is no need for its continued existence in the Club
- The Council will also accept unsolicited applications for Premium Positions and most open or NPC/Free Ranking Positions.
- Exceptions: The positions of Weyrleaders, goldriders, and Lord or Lady Holders will require a Club-wide call for applications before filling the vacancy.
The award of a Ranking Position is for a specific persona. If a member no longer wishes to keep writing for that Ranking Persona, the option of making the persona an ONPC is not available and so the persona will be removed or made NPC/Free. The member does not have preferential status for a replacement Ranking Persona but can apply, at no penalty providing the former Ranking Persona was current on posting, with the rest of the Club when a call for applications is announced via the Newsletter.
Per the Charter Holder, if a ranker position is vacant and there are no applicants from the main body of members, a sitting Council member or members may apply for that position. Applicant Council members will of course not be allowed to discuss or vote on their own application.
4.4.1 General Guidelines to Meet Prior to Applying for a Premium or Ranking Position
- Premium and Ranking Positions must be applied for as PC personas
- The applicant should be at least three (3) months out of mentoring
- The applicant should be current on posting for all PCs
- The applicant should show good posting quality and demonstrate accurate canon knowledge and familiarity with Club rules
High Ranking Positions will require the highest level of compliance with these guidelines. E.g., for high ranking and/or highly competitive positions, the Council will consider applicants' posting histories for the last 3-4 months.
Please remember: A Ranking or Premium Award must be earned. This is neither a lottery to win, nor a first-come, first-served procedure. Take your time and make your application the best you can. In cases where only unsuitable applications are received, the Council may decide not to fill the position.
Exceptions to the guidelines are possible concerning awarded Premium Positions. For new members, exceptions will be very rare. For returning members, exceptions will still be infrequent and based, to a large degree, on the members' history with the Club and the manner in which they departed.
4.4.2 Wingleader/Wingsecond Requirements
Since Wingleaders and Wingseconds are appointed positions, there is a requirement of a minimum number of Turns out of Weyrling training. This would enable the rider to gain experience he would need to lead a Wing.
- Wingseconds need to be at least five (5) Turns out of Weyrling training
- Wingleaders need to be at least ten (10) Turns out of Weyrling training
- Exceptions to these appointed positions would be rare and subject to Council approval
- Weyrleader and Weyrwoman are the product of a mating flight and, while experience would tend to give an edge, it would not prevent an exception from occurring on Pern
- While seniority is a big factor in deciding on the Wingseconds for the Queens' Wing, exceptions can also be made for goldriders since there are so few of them in a Weyr
4.4.3 Weyrleader Rotation
Weyrleader positions may be opened for applications every time the Senior Gold rises (i.e. roughly two times a Turn), depending on interest in the position.
Before the Senior Gold Flight, the Council will remind the Club that the Weyrleader position is open to Challenge. All existing bronzes within the Weyr may apply assuming they are reasonably old enough to win a mating flight against mature dragons. At Council's discretion, new bronzes may be created, but they must be living at the Weyr at the time of the mating flight. Also at Council's discretion, free npc bronzes may be adopted and apply for the position. In certain occasions Council may call for an open flight (accepting bronzes from other Weyrs if Weyr numbers are low or the club would otherwise benefit from an open flight).
If the Council receives such a notification, a Club-wide call for applications will be made. The existing Weyrleader can reapply at this time. Exception: The writer of the Weyrwoman at the same location is not eligible to apply.
If the Council receives no notification or no applications are received at the time of the call, the existing Weyrleader will remain in office.
Should the current Weyrleader choose to step down or does not win the Senior Gold's flight, he has the option of taking up any Wingleader or Wingsecond position that is listed as vacant or is filled by an NPC/Free rider in either Weyr, thereby retaining his rank.
4.4.4 Weyrwoman Replacement
If a Weyrwoman position becomes available, applications may be limited to existing gold riders, or Council may allow newly-created personas to apply. In either case, when the Weyrwoman position is open, the next queen to rise will become the new Weyrwoman. The goldrider chosen as Weyrwoman will schedule a mating flight within the following Pern month to establish herself in the position of Weyrwoman.
If no applications are received, the Council may fill the position with an NPC/Free, thus opening it for Club-wide applications for adoption or replacement.
Note: To avoid losing clutches, an NPC/Free goldrider can be adopted, but not replaced and dropped from the roster, during the time her gold has a clutch on the Sands.
4.4.5 Ranker Retirement
The Council would like to remind everyone that rankers can, of course, step down from active duty if their writer no longer wishes to retain the ranking position. At that time, the Council will call for applications to fill the vacated position(s).
In the case of writers neglecting their ranker duties (e.g. minimal posting, extended leaves, not available for co-posts, failure to write/release control posts on time etc.), the Council may ask the writer to retire their ranking persona to open the position for applications if there is a demand.
Last updated on 13 Dec 2016.
Dragonriders of Pern: A Fantasy-Fiction Writing Club - www.dragonridersclub.com
The Dragonriders of Pern® is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with permission. Use or reproduction without a license is strictly prohibited.